Wednesday, February 11, 2009

2009 Academy Awards (The Oscars) - Preview SPECIAL

I am going to stray a bit from my "typical" posting topics in this editorial today. I have seen a share of the Oscar contenders for this year (which covers films released during the 2008 calendar year), including nearly all of the Academy Award nominated films. The list for BEST PICTURE includes:

- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- "Frost / Nixon"
- "Milk"
- "The Reader"
- "Slumdog Millionaire"

Arguably, there were some other films of equal caliber that were not on the "Top 5" list of nominees, notably the following two films: "Doubt" and "The Wrestler".

Of the aforementioned list, I have not seen Benjamin Button, but I have seen the other six films. After reading Roger Ebert's review of this film (starring Brad Pitt, who ages in reverse in the title role), I had no real desire to see it. However, I do have my own reviews / opinions of the other four top films and the two films that were also deserving pictures.

In no particular order, here are my views on the Oscar contenders:

Frost / Nixon
Great performances from both of the lead characters, notably Frank Langella as Richard Nixon.

Milk
An incredible performance by lead actor contender Sean Penn, who gives quite possibly the absolute best role of his storied career.

The Reader
Kate Winslet is undoubtedly the best actress nominee worth watching in this World War II-based period piece about Nazi Germany and ethical dilemmas.

Slumdog Millionaire
The odds-on favorite for Best Picture winner, most notably for an ensemble cast of great actors and actresses.

Doubt
What a great assembly of actors - Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman - to carry a film making a statement about the Catholic Church of the 1960's.

The Wrestler
Mickey Rourke gives a career-defining performance in the film's lead role as an aging wrestler being forced to give up the career he loves due to injuries and an aging body.

[Since I am short for time, I will come back soon to finish the rest of this entry...]

No comments: